BBC: Chris Evans behaviour claims are ‘rubbish’


A BBC boss has said claims about Chris Evans’s behaviour while filming the new series of Top Gear are “rubbish”.

Acting director of BBC Television Mark Linsey has said claims that Evans was against the appointment of Matt LeBlanc was”simply not true”. His comments follow reports in some newspapers that executive producer Lisa Clark left Top Gear after just five months due to Evans’s behaviour. When she left, Clark said she was “moving on to new projects”, and added: “I’d like to wish production all the very best with the show.”

In a statement, Mr Linsey said: “It is rubbish to suggest Chris Evans’ behaviour on the set of Top Gear has been in any way unprofessional. Chris is a consummate professional and a real team-player. He is a passionate presenter who commits his heart and soul into everything he does – whether his Radio 2 show, Children In Need or Top Gear – and we are extremely fortunate to have him leading the show. Also, it is simply not true to suggest Chris did not support the signing of Matt LeBlanc, when he has been behind Matt joining the presenting team since day one. Chris and Matt are part of a wider production team that is full of brilliant and talented people. That team is tight-knit, in great spirits and utterly focused on delivering the best possible series for viewers.”

Filming for the new series of Top Gear is now under way, with a new seven-strong presenting team which was unveiled earlier this month.

The show will be broadcast on BBC Two in May.



  1. I’ll certainly give the “new” TopGear a chance, but it will never live up to the standards set by the three stooges.
    I’m also wondering if this show should take the Saturday Night Live approach and have guest stars host the whole show.