Top Gear

Why Jeremy Clarkson hates Piers Morgan

Anyone who follows Jeremy Clarkson on Twitter will no doubt be aware of just how much he hates Piers Morgan. But why? And did Jeremy really punch Piers in the face? Well.. kick back with a frosty beverage and read on. This may take a while.

The story begins in 1994, when Piers Morgan graduated with a degree in Journalism from Harlow College. In the time following he worked small-time reporting jobs for local media outlets and lived an otherwise normal life. He was then offered the editor position for The Sun‘s celebrity gossip column, ‘Bizarre’, in which he either did exceedingly well or pathetically badly because this lasted only a matter of months.

Thanks to his influence he caught the eye of Rupert Murdoch, who decided to offer him the position of senior editor for The News of The World, Murdoch’s flagship Sunday newspaper in the UK. After spending a year or so digging into celebrity’s private lives, Piers one day up and decided to leave Murdoch behind and took up a senior editor position at the Daily Mirror. It was here that he would make his name.

In 1996 it was Euro Cup time, and in the UK this is kind of a big thing. They take it quite seriously as a nation, especially when they’ve been lined up to play Germany. So when this happened Piers was obliged to cover the story, or risk not selling a single paper for the rest of the year. “Achtung! Surrender” was on the front page the Mirror the day of the match. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of European politics during the 20th century might be able to piece together what followed. “Shitstorm” just doesn’t quite sum it up and he was forced to apologise to Germany, the UK and FIFA on international television amidst death threats from all over the continent.

A few years passed and Piers pretty much drove the Daily Mirror into the ground. By 2004, it was the last straw. Piers went and authorised the publication of photos fresh from the war in Iraq, which seemed to show British Troops abusing and mistreating Iraqi POWs. Unfortunately for him, and the photos turned out to be fake. He was fired and the paper had to actually run stories on their front pages for about a week offering their most sincere apologies. So Piers found himself out of a job.

Jeremy Clarkson is a fellow journalist who has a column in The Sun – Piers’ old rival newspaper. Starting in the early 2000’s, Piers decided for reasons known only to himself that Clarkson must be up to no good somewhere and damn it he was going to find out. His ‘investigations’ started to bank towards stalking the hapless Yorkshireman, taking pictures of him everywhere he went, waiting outside his house etc. Unsurprisingly this started to piss Clarkson off no end. This led to Clarkson making personal jibes about Piers in his column and on his show, which served only to piss Piers off more. This snowballed on and on until Piers hit the jackpot he’d been waiting for! He’d managed to get some incriminating snaps of Clarkson hitting on his BBC producer, Elaine Bedell. Without further ado, he published them and got Clarkson into a bit of bother at home.

Clarkson was furious, as any of us would have been. Unfortunately for Piers, Clarkson was also attending the British Press Awards that year and the two encountered each other on the floor. Clarkson slowly walked over to Piers and punched him straight in the face, then calmly left. This reportedly left Piers with a scar above his left eye.

In the years following, their tit-for-tat war of words have continued and even spilled on to twitter. Most commonly they duke it out over the others’ show viewer figures – with Jeremy convinced that Piers’ dwindling viewer figures will result in his show being cancelled, and Piers’ maintaining that Top Gear is on the way down too.

clarkson

Piers+Morgan

This war of words is destined to be one of the world’s longest running wars – akin to a race between two Vauxhall Vectra’s. It’ll go on forever and be incredibly boring to watch. Who do you think will win? We now have the answer!

Related posts

Two random guys are joining Top Gear next year

Sean McKellar

The RC Toybota returns – will it sink?

Sean McKellar

Top Gear’s future in doubt after Matt LeBlanc quits

Sean McKellar

Top Gear: Series 25 Episode 6 Preview

Sean McKellar

Top Gear: Series 25 Episode 5 Preview

Sean McKellar

Top Gear: Series 25 Episode 4 Preview

Sean McKellar

32 comments

FarmerNIC December 9, 2013 at 4:15 am

Clarkson 🙂 yeah

Penny February 14, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Piers Morgan has the type of face that needs a slap
Well done Jeremy , wish I’d been ther to see it.

Darren K Isaacs February 28, 2014 at 6:13 am

Hey Jeremy
Dont ever speak about who Americans distrust or dislike. We don’ t like you. Your a big mouth idiot. You call us fat, stupid and rude.
What kind of reception do you expect from ssomeone you call fat and stupid you fucking moron.
I so wish you three faggots woyld have got your limey asses kicked on the show in America. Why didn’t you get out and back up that big mouth of yours. Oh thats right your a Brittish big mouth fag who runs like a bitch when your big mouth writes a check your ass can’t cash. Fuck England we should have let your asses get wiped out off the earth in WW2.. FUCK OFF !

Mike March 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm

It would appear, good sir, that your problem is not with Jeremy Clarkson (not that I imagine he would particularly care if it was), but with your own ability to verbalize or otherwise communicate your angst. I suggest you see someone about it. Chin up buddy, there are councillors for this sort of thing, but, ehh, don’t be late, say, maybe 2 years late? You’re good at that sort of thing.

Andy March 3, 2014 at 6:41 am

Had the Americans witheld their much needed interference in WWII the number of friendly fire incidents would have been considerably lower. One can only hope that the rebel colonies have improved their aim if not wholey rid themselves of the trigger happy enthusiasm which has made your armed forces such questionable allies. To my mind, one of the most valuable contributions that the U.S has made to global society is the sure and certain knowledge that MORE is not necessarily better.

Arob the Arab August 24, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I think Clarkson is brilliant, and enjoy every barb he throws at Americans–we deserve them all. On the other hand, the apparently perpetual inferiority complex that afflicts Brittons regarding their former colony is also good for laughs.

As for Piers Morgan, he is, as the article claims, a twat. And even if I hated Jeremy Clarkson, I would shake his hand (hell, I’d hug him) for taking that shot. Next time, Jezza, use a palm strike–more damage to Morgan, less to you!

E March 8, 2014 at 9:27 pm

You really don’t understand the British sense of humour do you? Well, Americans don’t. We British take the piss out of everyone and what really makes it funny and worthwhile is seeing reactions like this. Thanks for making me chuckle.

Will March 16, 2014 at 7:18 pm

what a delightful foul mouthed prick you are… Take what Jeremy says with a pinch of salt and don’t overreact! Even stand up comedians don’t get this much stick.

Tom March 19, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Shut the fuck up. UK helped as much as the USA. Fuckin’ americans, you lot are the real terrorists. You get involved with so many other countries problems. And for what? Publicity? Yeah, ‘Murica bitch.

Kevin Mehdizadeh May 7, 2014 at 2:38 am

dude, i’m american, and you obviously can’t take a fuckin joke…

Callum lambert May 19, 2014 at 10:20 am

I’ll fucking smash your American head in you yank piece of shit watch what I’ll do to you and your fucking fat head of a head

Matthew Riley May 25, 2014 at 6:53 pm

As an American I can personally say I like Clarkson, and you, yes you specifically, are the type of American he makes fun of. The ignorant bore headed person who can’t spell, or use anything resembling proper American English, which is slightly different the Queen’s English, and I am specific because I gather your pretty much an ignoramus. ‘

I really dislike Americans like you. You are what make the rest of the world thing were arrogant pricks. Do the decent thing for all decent Americans, dare I say the world a service, and don’t reproduce in our gene pool. Thank you in advance for doing the world a solid.

Bobby T July 20, 2014 at 7:28 am

Hey pal, I’m an American too and the only reason your all pissy is because your a fat rude ignorant fuck. So quit crying like a baby back bitch and lose some weight and live a little longer!

Thunderhead308 July 25, 2014 at 10:18 am

Hmm. I would like to tell you, petty American that i grew up outside of America’s third world, Detroit and have been around all over the country. Like the people below have said, you are the types of people he makes fun of. The easily offended. You make me laugh, you weak spine swine. There are too many of you jokes out there and that is why you all come together like vermin and lemmings and fester and spread. You are, utterly and bluntly vermin, disease of America and the most foul type of people out there and the worst sort to represent this great nation.

As for you British folk, i don’t know what it is that you dislike about America so much. I have many speculations and many of them are quite right but suffice it to say that you should know that many Americans are weak minded, force fed by the media and like it. American citizens for the most part are the sheeple, little, quiet, weak mined and no spine people who are easy prey. The Americans who are not sheeple, are the ones i do believe are encountered by tourists and the ones who do leave a good impression. Hard to say, but they are out there.

Remember this and live by this. “Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views and demand that they respect yours.”-Tecumseh(supporter of the British during the French and Indian wars.) and also this by Vincent Majestyk, played by Charles Bronson: “You don’t kill one cockroach and think it’ll teach the rest of them a lesson. No, you gotta kill’em all.”

Live by that and you’re good.

Gus Caplan September 7, 2014 at 3:55 am

I am american, and I would agree with Jeremy Clarkson.

Jeremy Clarkson December 2, 2016 at 11:57 am

You might be one of the worst people ever….

Mark Le sal March 3, 2014 at 7:29 am

Darren k isaacs……..I’ve heard it all now. WW2? That old one again? Really? That’s like us bringing up the English language, but hey man you probably speak American. Are you from the Deep South perhaps? Will if you can actually read this with your three eyes genetically passed down as a by product from your mamma’s mamma riding her brother then good luck to you sir. I see your six fingers on one hand has not affected your typing too much. Just a little

KJ March 4, 2014 at 6:58 pm

To the Angry American. I share your country but not your opinions, yes Clarkson is a loud obnoxious bigot, and I love him for it; I watch ever episode. Yes, he picks on the “Colonies”, but he picks on everyone, and its damn funny. Its a Brit show with Brit pride all over it, we do the same thing, so drive your left hand drive mustang with a hood in the front a trunk in the back down to a BAR and have a drink. Its Comedy the way it is supposed to be. And to the WWII commenters….good men spilled blood fighting for our freedoms, that takes courage REGARDLESS of where you were born. “Miss you gramps.”

Bradford March 8, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Completely agree with you KJ. I’m also an American, and weak-minded “mericans” annoy me. Like you said, Clarkson picks on everyone, which is exactly what we love to do. He is my favorite on the show and it’s mainly because he says what he wants. I’m starting to get tired of all the insecure people, dishonest kindness, and apologizes in the US. And I just don’t understand how a person could get so angry about such a fun show.

JJ March 12, 2014 at 3:09 pm

It’s quite simple…he’s an American Liberal with no sense of humor.

Instead of just turning the channel like a normal person, he continues to watch because he wants to be offended. He believes that if he’s offended, then the offending party must be punished and ridiculed. He doesn’t get that his true power is in just turning the channel. He doesn’t understand the concept of capitalism where if he and enough other like-minded individuals turn the channel the show will get canceled, just like Piers.

dacian April 22, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Leave it to “JJ” to turn this into a liberal versus conservative rant…and make us Americans look even more self-centered than we are. Take a deep breath, JJ, and simmer down – it’s not all about you and your fellow right-wingers.

Kingcokjoe March 13, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I’m from the u.s and I’m not at all pissed when Clarkson make fun of us. He make fun of everyone, including the British and even himself. People who get sand in their vaginas when a person make a joke about a group of other people that they are apart of is gross. Folks need to chill the hell out. Clarkson is in my opinion one of the funniest people to walk the face if the earth. Piers is a D-BAG. And if you agree or disagree, it does not matter. Grow up people and act your age. I know 95% could not and would not have the balls to say half the shit you say to other people in person. Most of you hide behind your computer screen with a fake name. That why this world is going to shit. Stop your blubbering bitches!!!! Long live CLARKSON. Peirs, go smoke some cock you useless asshole!

Chris May 16, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Well said.

fuck the haters March 16, 2015 at 10:44 am

Exactly what’s the big deal who gives a shit what happened team clarkson lol

K T March 17, 2014 at 7:36 am

people who get offended by Clarkson ar twats. Clarkson speaks the truth. Majority Americans are fat, and even more are senseless idiots who get offended when someone speaks honestly. Im from Lesotho, in Southern Africa (Not South Africa! !) and I never flinch when Clarkson passes comments about Africans, fuck! We love Top Gear down here. Clarkson is a good, funny guy. He isnt perfect and he isnt obssessed with perfection like so many American hosts. He is a human being and he acts like one and that makes him a great guy.

Myco Sys October 26, 2015 at 4:19 am

he’s an old pillock who needs to get over himself, but he’s a funny old pillock who needs to get over himself

mitko April 5, 2014 at 11:05 am

I’m an American and I’m sooooo offended

Chris May 16, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Jeremy should have hit him twice!!!!!! Now, I’m American’ not fat, lol’ and I absolutely love the Plucky Brit sense of humor. Too many of us ,here in the states, take ourselves waaaay too seriously. We lose sight of the ability to laugh at ourselves. I , in no way, agree with the angry American. We have too many twats on this side of the pond. So, to get back at it. piers Morgan is a right cunt and got what he deserved. I would have hit him with a brick!! save my hand you understand.

Myco Sys October 26, 2015 at 4:18 am

hit him three times, breaking his finger, and scarring morgans noggin. Sadly he didnt hit a bit more centrally in his face and knock some sense into the cunt.

Benson November 3, 2014 at 2:40 am

This is the biggest pile of shite ever transferred to print!

Can’t stand Morgan myself, BUT, what ACTUALLY happened was this:

Morgan got a snap of Clarkson slavering all over Bedell, (imagine that! YEUK!). Morgan told Clarkson, (a ‘fellow’ [so called] ‘journalist’ as Sean writes), what he had on him, and Clarkson BEGGED him not to publish. Clarkson said that there was nothing ‘going on’, and went on to suggest that “nothing COULD POSSIBLY be going on”, and that Morgan should, “….ask Mrs Clarkson.” He inferred to Morgan that he couldn’t be having a ‘fling’, as he was impotent! Imagine that! Feigning IMPOTENCE as an excuse! What a hero! Morgan apparently felt sorry for Clarkson, and didn’t publish there and then, but kept the details on file. Morgan later came across Clarkson doing something very similar, and heard that there was more ‘going on’ than he’d originally been told by Clarkson, so he went ahead and published the original photos. The next time they met was at the Press Awards.

What a lovely world ‘low rent’ media is!

So there you go! Like it or not, THAT is why Clarkson punched Morgan.

An uncomfortable truth is always better than a pleasing lie!

Ezekiel Twentyfiveseventeen February 9, 2015 at 4:57 am

Jeremy Clarkson is a man I have a very hard time disagreeing with, even when it comes to the bad things about my country (USA) which I myself have as much good and bad things to say about as the UK. I can’t say I am surprised by this feud. Jeremy seams like a good guy and I don’t know how you can be a good guy, personally know Piers Morgan and NOT want to beat his face in.

Ezekiel Twentyfiveseventeen February 9, 2015 at 4:58 am

Piers Morgan actually DOES get allot of attention around here, but it’s mostly people with torches and pitchforks.