Wheeler Dealers

Mike Brewer on how Edd China left Wheeler Dealers

Footage of Mike Brewer has popped up on YouTube this week, in which he revealed details as to how Edd China left Wheeler Dealers. In the video, filmed at the Klingberg Vintage Motor Car Festival in Connecticut, Brewer says Edd turned out to be ‘not gracious’.

“He did some very bad things,” Brewer said. “And when he did some very bad things it meant that Discovery channel just couldn’t work with him. So they gave him the option to leave, and he took it.”

“He wanted to go off and do another show anyway, and I’m waiting for his new show to appear. I think we all are,” he added.

Earlier this year Edd announced he was leaving Wheeler Dealers after 13 seasons on the show. Despite the move, the show was renewed for season 14, with former “For The Love of Cars” host Ant Anstead taking over spanner-spinning duties.

Brewer praised Anstead’s superior work ethic in the video, while also suggesting that Edd’s problem was that he let his newfound fame go to his head. “It’s much more back to where it used to be because Ant is a real mechanic,” Brewer said. “Edd became a TV star, rather than… Edd forgot his focus really on what he was there to do. He was a mechanic, and then he became a TV star.”

“When you become a TV star, and he turns up everyday and I’m saying to him ‘We need to rip the engine out of that Corvette’ and he’s going ‘I don’t need to do that, I’m a TV star!’” – Mike Brewer

Brewer said that while Edd would moan and argue, eventually he’d get to work and the job would be done – but the issue was how long the process would take to get there.

According to Edd, his decision to leave Wheeler Dealers was due to the production company’s decision to ‘dumb down’ the very thing which made the show successful in the first place – in-depth coverage of the fixes performed on the cars in the workshop. Not only are these pieces rather difficult to film, but they’re also time-intensive and as a result more expensive.

This revelation angered fans, resulting in Brewer being on the receiving end of their venom – which even came in the form of death threats to him and other members of his family.

Brewer publicly countered China’s claims that Discovery planned to reduce the workshop aspect of the show in the upcoming season. “There’s no way on earth that anyone has ever suggested that the mechanical content of the show is going to be reduced,” Brewer said.

“Where that came from, I don’t know. It is not going to be reduced, Discovery channel are not going to change the format one iota.”

Related posts

Edd China is all over the Wheeler Dealers YouTube channel

Sean McKellar

Wheeler Dealers returns in May with 8 new episodes

Sean McKellar

Was Edd China right? Have Wheeler Dealers reduced workshop time?

Sean McKellar

Life after Wheeler Dealers: What has Edd China been up to?

Sean McKellar

Wheeler Dealers: Mike Brewer’s side of the story

Sean McKellar

Wheeler Dealers: Mike Brewer’s war on haters

Sean McKellar

33 comments

Steve55 September 29, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Edd, was the show.

Michael Ronga April 21, 2018 at 11:32 am

Steve, yes he was the show, the show off!

Bill October 12, 2017 at 3:21 am

Let’s remember everybody, there are three sides to every story, sooner or later the truth will come out.

Steve M. October 21, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Watched the first of the new episodes.
I’m done with it. Just not the same without the big guy.
Never thought much for Mike anyhow.

Vic October 21, 2017 at 8:16 pm

I liked wheeler dealers & enjoyed the fact that ed & Mike each did their bit. However it seems egos have become over enlarged with time. Just like so many pop & Rock groups have fallen apart previously. Shame really, they should both forget the blame game & concentrate on their own future projects. Good luck to both of them.

Anne January 11, 2018 at 11:17 pm

Edd appears to be concentrating on future projects, it’s Mike who keeps playing the blame game. He just can’t seem to let it go.

Mick Brewer November 30, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Show must go on … I like Ant. Mike is still the main reason to watch

Brenden Massett December 22, 2017 at 12:26 am

Fuck Mike Brewer…

Edd China December 24, 2017 at 8:48 am

Mike was seen sucking a donkey cock. Edd left.

Loren Johnson December 25, 2017 at 1:18 am

My reason for watching was for the different car fix”s . To bad it had to end that way . I liked it better while it was being filmed in England . Needs to get back to its roots

Jim of Norway December 31, 2017 at 3:08 am

Could not agree more with Loren J. The ONLY reason for watching WD is Mr China`s “how too” (in a calm & easy to understand fashion). First some production twitt (what) killed TopGear and now Velocishit kills WD. Both ended up in some overproduced american world. Why can`t we let great English shows be and let America produce it`s own shows (crap)?
Without Edd teaching me stuff I might as well watch endless re-runs of Two & a half Men or Kardasiass.

Joe Fishin January 7, 2018 at 7:53 am

I really expected the “post Ed C” show to be a complete Turd, I just watched the first of the new episodes, Props to Ant Anstead, he is different, but entertaining and informative, perhaps they should have made a new show with Ant and Ed, and ditched Mike……:D

Wayne John January 9, 2018 at 7:54 am

Just watched 2nd episode with Ant. It’s just not the same he is crap and Mike is the big head, the way he shakes somebody’s hand is embarrassing. Two shows down and I’m afraid to say WD is dead I won’t watch anymore

Frank Reilly January 9, 2018 at 11:43 am

Regardless of who or what is to blame for the situation Mike Brewer’s public criticism of Edd China was totally unnecessary and extremely unprofessional.
It reeked of childish spite for a perceived personal offence. Watch Edd China’s video explanation Mr Brewer. That is how you conduct yourself when in the public eye.
I suspect you may have found yourself reacting to the fan’s general opinion that Edd was in fact the show. If you think otherwise you clearly misunderstand your audience and the very reason they watch the show and have in addition completely overestimated your contribution to the programme.
To summarise Edd is not to blame for the fans disliking your personality or your delivery and your subsequent behaviour only lends credence to their claims.

BackDoorBertie January 18, 2018 at 10:32 am

Only watched WD to see Edd, Mike was just embarrassing, and while Mike was the guy doing the deals I would never buy a car from such wide boy, you’d pay Edd more as he’s genuine.

Hope Edd finds a good project to take on, Mike your a dope

Michael Ronga April 21, 2018 at 11:54 am

There is always enough blame to go around, both guys were important, I really don’t think Edd is the salesman type. I would say if they switched roles the show would not have worked, Mike is the salesman,and Edd is the mechanic, sure Mike can work on cars but Edd is way better, I don’t think Edd could sell water in the desert. Teamwork is what made the show work, no mystery or anything more.It sure did appear to me that Edd got a big head and thought he was always the smartest guy in the room, no matter where he was. Sadly I dont think the show will last, and I think we would have the same results if it was Mike that left and not Edd.

Sam Cove January 23, 2018 at 8:22 am

Edd fd up..not missed at all and the new guy is even better….plus he is banging that little blonde chick from that other fake show

Team edd January 24, 2018 at 6:51 am

Mike is a proper wolly how can you throw someone under the bus like that what a back stabber ment to be friends. Who needs friends like you typical car dealer full of shit

Matt Roberts February 8, 2018 at 6:05 am

Time will tell my money is on Edd being the totoise and mike being the Hare but you have to take into considaration that empy vessels make the most noise…Good Luck and keep plodding Edd.

Sean McKellar February 22, 2018 at 8:45 am

We hope to see him back on our screens soon!

Rigg February 9, 2018 at 6:56 am

Well having just watched episode 6 of the latest series not only has the workshop aspect of the show been dumbed down the whole show has been dumbed down for the USA market. Lots of repeated film clips to remind us of what’s happening, No real engineering insight or detail anymore just an old car goes in and a refurbished one comes out. Nothing to see here, sadly.

Sean McKellar February 22, 2018 at 8:48 am

I’ve noticed many American shows seem to follow this format – as if they’re catering for people who have started watching part way through. Hopefully with the rise of on-demand viewing this will be something that’ll go away soon.

Clive February 17, 2018 at 10:12 am

Ed’ take no notice of that fat twat Brewer I’ll never watch WD again what you expect from a cockney car salesmen wanker

Rob February 23, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Show is over, it was Ed who made WD what it was, I am done with it.

Dawwwg March 9, 2018 at 9:41 pm

The new format is terrible, more repeating stuff than ever. Ant is ok and his fabrication skills are up to par, but the show is missing and the nitty gritty details and Edd’s charm. Half the show is now about fabricating some custom part (boring when it’s 50% of EACH episode), whilst 90% of the car-restoration isn’t even mentioned. They just skip from that one part to the fully restored end-result; do we think we’re stupid or something; this isn’t supposed to be Overhauled 2.0 guys !

Chris April 12, 2018 at 5:14 am

Edd in the garage was the best part of the show, will think twice now

Geoff Wulff April 19, 2018 at 5:24 am

I endured Mike Brewer picking up the cars to get to the real heart of the show. Edd WAS WDs. Slagging him off proving he was the ‘Big ‘ed not a big Edd. Pathetic really. I met the fat man at the Citroen ninety year do at the Ace Cafe where he asked me about my car but he cut me off in mid sentence when he spotted Fiona Bruce in the crowd and just walked off. Rude man. .Alexei Sale who was at the same show was genuinely interested and even sat in my ex Midge Ure car. :]

Robert May 1, 2018 at 8:59 am

This has always been my favorite auto show and I kept most of the edd/mike episodes. Edd was the attraction and brought a shade tree mechanic mentality that I could relate to. It’s unfortunate that the show ended because of edd’s departure and with due respects to Ant, the show is far from what attracted me to it. Seems that Ant brings some expertise to the show, but by and large the producers are satisfied with jobbing out most mechanical issues whereas Edd would actually work on the issues and use ingenuity to complete the task. I watched some of the new shows but remain of the fence as to whether the show is worth my while.

alastair forsyth June 12, 2018 at 5:28 am

Liked the old wheeler dealers. Not keen on new one though its better than car sos

Jeff Miller September 17, 2018 at 3:46 am

I watch wheeler dealers by fast forwarding through Brewers shit,and watching Ed or Ant at normal speed,the less I see or hear Brewer.the better

mark September 22, 2018 at 6:47 pm

No ever seems to mention how unrealistic the programme is. By not putting a value on the labour time of each job the show is meaningless. In the UK garage labour costs vary from £80 AN HOUR right up to £100. Adding in these costs makes every single project on all 14 series a pointless loss. I love the programme but think the profit from each car re-build should be significantly greater. To give greater reality. In the real world Edd (or Ant) would not put that kind of work into a vehicle for such pitiful returns.

eddie simpson October 8, 2018 at 8:49 am

i like ant in wheeler dealers but since edd china left i have not learnt a thing about repairing cars its now just become a show to watch rather than learn yes i heard he wasn’t approchable off air but who cares i liked him for what he brought to the program

Mark October 17, 2018 at 9:23 am

Ant isn’t no good in the show Ed was the main reason why the show lasted so long brilliant forgot mike brewer is the reason why the show isn’t any good anymore how about you quit mike brewer